EGGOS: THE ONLY FOOD YOU'LL EVER NEED

General Discussion! Hopefully with 80% less SPAM. X_X;

EGGOS: THE ONLY FOOD YOU'LL EVER NEED

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:55 pm

(WHOOPS SHOULD'VE NOTED THIS ART IS COMPLETELY NOT MINE, FUCK X_X;)

This topic is for people who understand that Eggos are the food of the good and pure and also kind.

Or in other words people who've watched Stranger Things.

Which is hopefully only going to be me, because otherwise I'm gonna have to commit to this Voltron thing. BUT MY GOD, THIS SHOW. This is my JAM. Granted, the nostalgia is kinda mistargeted--if it was going to hit me right square in the Childhood it'd have to aim more for the early 90s--but there's enough that's close or that I've come to love, and also the E.T. refs...

But then again I ain't even here for the nostalgia, I'm here for that UPSIDE DOWN and them BLACK SEDANS, holmes.

I suppose I could link my watch-through shoutcasts here for posterity later. >_>

I hear music in the air tonight
One familiar fading tune
Something pulls at my infected soul
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa
Corpse Baka Rank: Second Bestie

Re: EGGOS: THE ONLY FOOD YOU'LL EVER NEED

Postby MasterDJ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:48 am

>_>;;; This show better be better than sex for the kind of advertising you're doing for it.

"Anyone can dance with the devil, dear. Are you able to love one?"
MasterDJ
My New Faction NPC Can’t Be This Cute

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Maaaaaaaan I was probably always going to gush this much about this show unless it totally sucked, because this is essentially "Things Graham Likes: The Series", okay? I mean, you know how Jason basically drinks from the well of Norse myth, that is me with anything Cthulhu Mythos or cosmic horror, it is the wellspring from which I flow, and this show has cosmic horror in spades.

And then it adds the extra, glorious spice of creepy government agents and scientists and psychic girls? I can't not love it. There's also the icing on the cake that is built-in D&D references. Like, this is For Me. >_> This show is to me what "Loli Viking Anime Maids Have Lesbian Sex: The Series" would be to Jason. <_<

BUT: it is also extra goddamn good.

One familiar fading tune
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa

Re: EGGOS: THE ONLY FOOD YOU'LL EVER NEED (wap)

Postby Jason the Great » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:59 pm

I was here for how insanely Stephen King the whole show was. A well fleshed out small town vibe and characters who are all variously involved in the supernatural horrors taking place in it in interesting and varied ways. o 3o/ it's nothing like the absolute masterpiece of small town horror that is Needful Things BUT it's definitely up there. The closest that it actually reminds me of is probably Insomnia? Tho, I don't yet consider it 'cosmic horror' (I find cosmic horror to be more about how utterly small and pointless we are as a species in the face of things with literally can't comprehend, with a sense of absolute dread that what is being dealt with is beyond of scope of human handling), it feels less Lovecraft-y to me, and more just 'alien'. Not in the space sense, mind you, I think aliens would have bored me. XD Unless it was handled like Tommyknockers, I suppose.

All in all, I do think it's worth a watch. Even tho SOMETHING about the first season feels unfulfilling (I don't even know what it is), I think that's a temporary issue that will be thoroughly fulfilled in later seasons as this was all clearly set up for something much, much bigger. I'll be honest, the vibe I got during the end was 'Prologue'. A very well written one, at that.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Yeah, the King mojo is also strong with this one. The character work is so excellent and the actors all did so well. Especially the kids!

And well, different strokes for different folks, but I find that the small doses of cosmic-style horror to be the best! You can't always be telling people about the vastness of the Outside, or they'll become numb to it. My school of thought is to feed them small glimpses that build to something greater and far more terrible.

Fun Demogorgon Facts | +
The monster is actually pretty much beat for beat a Dimensional Shambler, from both a Lovecraft story and a Clark Ashton Smith one.

And I can understand the prologue feeling, although I've heard different opinions. But I'm pumped for a Season 2.

BEST CHARACTER MEDALISTS | +
(I could bring in the lists from Facebook but like half the protagonists get honorable mentions. Even Steve. Fuckin' Steve.)

GOLD: Eleven, Pure and Good Queen of Eggos
SILVER: Co-Medalists Joyce Byers, The Best Mom, and Chief Hopper, Badass With a Past
BRONZE: Co-Medalists Mike, Prince Consort of Eggoland, and Dustin, Ambassador of Joy

One familiar fading tune
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:19 pm

X_X; I just realized it looks like maybe I'm trying to claim credit for that fanart, whiiiich is stupid because that's not mine. If I did do ST fanart I'd put it here, unless it crossed over with DU.

But yeah that art's not mine, it's from a tumblr and I meant to put that in a note but didn't because I'm a fuckwit.

I guess the rest of this post can be about people who are also bad, in the show.

WORST CHARACTER MEDALISTS | +
GARBAGE MEDALISTS: Co-Medalists Tommy H. and Carol, the Stupid Fucking Teens.
DOG SHIT MEDALIST: Lonnie Byers, King of the Deadbeats
ACTUAL SEWER MEDALIST: Troy the 80s Bully

One familiar fading tune
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa

Postby Jason the Great » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:35 am

(Alma as Eleven)

Pffft, speaking of the bullies, that was one of the SK things that stuck out to me. Childhood bullies will literally kill you. Not on the level of, like, Henry Bowers, but ya.

The cop character also felt similar to Alan Pangborn, which is nice. Alan is great.
Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants

Postby Jason the Great » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 am

https://youtu.be/7N1rirHF6qk

I learned today that Eleven was based on Elfen Lied. lol
Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 pm

https://youtu.be/9Egf5U8xLo8

HALLOWEEN CAN'T GET HERE FAST ENOUGH 8D

Also that huge shadowy monster reminds me of Amgydala from Bloodborne and I fuckin' DIG IT

One familiar fading tune
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa

Postby Jason the Great » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:37 am

Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants