Digimon Link Concept

Archived (Usually Board or Plot-Relevant) Threads are shoved here. Mostly for some semblance of neatness. >_>; Examples include conversations and calls for thread, plot, or Alt. RP ideas that don't need to remain in the main GD, but are still interesting to look back and read.

Digimon Link Concept

Postby MasterDJ » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:40 pm

HEY THERE, PA-

*SMACKED*

Fine! Fine! I won't reference old crappy cartoons based on video games. BUT! Video games did help with this. Here's where things started. This thought process has been running for little over a week, but it only just came together today.

On the board here we have a Digimon game that never got started called SpeedOut. I forget exactly HOW I started it, but needless to say it never got going because I made an idea without letting an epiphany strike me and probably too much YuGiOh 5Ds. The story had a lot of elements from DU, and though the locations were pretty interesting I didn't really have any full ideas. No plot arcs, no characters beyond the first dude I made, really just a lot of nada.

This thought process actually had an epiphany to back it up.

Somewhere between a talk I had with Jason, Mariah, and one of Mariah's friends about the Persona games, a wiki walk through the Mega Man wikia, a random mention of .hack from Erik, and me running through a Disgaea 2 artbook while trying to design a Digimon for someone in DU, the idea came together almost immediately.

----
STORY CONCEPT:
----

The latest game that has captured the attention of the public is an MMO called Digital World. Using a small interface that offers control through mental command, a player is able to design an avatar for them to use within the game and accrue Digimon to fight alongside them as warriors, healers, mounts and the like. The game became a popular way to kill time, socialize with others, and make connections through similar motivations.

The creator of Digital World is an old gentleman by the name of Solomon who created the game as a means to get over the loss of his family on a trip years ago. In his moment of grief, he had set the foundation for an entirely new family and become its patriarch. Within a year of its creation, servers had been established all over the world, bringing forth more creatures, more players, and more ways to go on adventures.

On the day player count hit one million, a great celebration was held within the game. Shit hit the fan that same day. Under mysterious circumstances, since the one millionth active came into the game, odd occurrences of terrorism and murder hit like a wave within the real world. The number of explosions, crushing deaths, and stabbing wounds rose dramatically, though many of the less extreme cases were cast off as hideous accidents.

Any of us that have been playing these games know better, don't we?

Solomon's method of coping had opened up the actual Digital World and was now dragging the entire dimension kicking and screaming towards that of humanity. Should contact occur, the end result will surely be the end of life in both worlds. This knowledge in hand, Solomon turned his game into a balancing act of dimensional proportions, letting out just enough Digimon and letting a sad end come to just enough consumers so the two worlds stay in enough equilibrium to stave off collision. The only way to interfere with imminent destruction is to discover the means of the destabilization between the two worlds, the source somewhere within the Digital World itself. In such a vast place, it could be anywhere.

Good thing there's over a million and counting able explorers at the ready.

----
SYSTEM
----

In game, the character has two bodies. That of the real world, and one of the avatar. Like in any MMO, the avatar and user do not have to be the same age or gender. Once that is decided, they are given a small examination to determine the Digimon partner. ALL TAMERS HAVE ONLY ONE TRUE PARTNER. From there, they may recruit up to a set amount of Digimon (the number can increase with upgrades) to become their allies and bolster their strength.

The Digimon are categorized by class and level, though classes are the most important. For example, there are Knights, Berserkers, Healers, and Mages (not all classes are listed). All classes have a strength all their own, but each contain a weakness that is exploitable such as low health, speed, or strength. A Digimon can overcome these problems by Digivolving.

Digivolving in the game is also different from that of DDT or DU. In the game, you can fuse your main Digimon with one or two from your team to create an amalgam of classes.

Example: Veemon (Knight - High attack, low speed) + Leomon (Berserker- Medium attack, high vitality) = XVmon (Strength of a Knight, resilience of a Berserker), with the XVmon still having mediocre speed but able to make up for it by being able to take more hits.

Digimon cannot Digivolve without taking in others, and some can even be sacrificed to create a permanent boost in power. Handling who lives, who dies, and who goes home is the entire management system for the game.

-----

The game can basically be built upon all the old SpeedOut locations and any characters that were made for it. There is still a Digital World, there are still attacks in the real world to contend with, and there are still those that work in the shadows to keep the collision coming. The tentative name for the RP is Digimon Link. As I said, this idea came to me just today but a lot more solid than SpeedOut's did. It might also be a nice outlet for ideas that couldn't make it into the other games. If you're interested, let me know here.

"Anyone can dance with the devil, dear. Are you able to love one?"
MasterDJ
My New Faction NPC Can’t Be This Cute

Re: Digimon Link Concept

Postby Hunter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:42 pm

you know my vote

BURN THE WI-- *is smacked* OW

I mean... yes. I vote yes for going forward with this.

EDIT:: I'll be working on a proto bio. I got a couple ideas forming
Hunter
BANNED

Postby Jason the Great » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Reminds me of when I designed the .hack versions of Celia and Hitomi for the lulz.

I'd be all for it!
Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants

Postby Hunter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:47 pm

golden!
Hunter
BANNED

Postby Mooncrafter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm

I shall think this theme over... sounds epic though~

I may be fragile, but I'll not back down