LET'S ENUMERATE OUR CHARACTERS' PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES

Archived (Usually Board or Plot-Relevant) Threads are shoved here. Mostly for some semblance of neatness. >_>; Examples include conversations and calls for thread, plot, or Alt. RP ideas that don't need to remain in the main GD, but are still interesting to look back and read.

LET'S ENUMERATE OUR CHARACTERS' PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:47 am

Well, I was talking with Cam, Erik, Mariah, and Jess. Initially, it was about the "blue dude" of every Digimon season; you know, the one who's rival to the goggle boy, and whose life generally seems to be made completely of suck. You know, like Yamato, Ken, Tohma, Kouji...those guys.

We then decided to take a look at the individuals of Dial-Up!

...It turned out that, yes, we have a blue dude--one former Divine Crown Lion, Adrian Karhl. Who goes through almost as much shit as any of the previous seasons' blue dudes! But we also realized that it doesn't stop there. In fact, just about every goddamn character here in Dial-Up has crippling psychological issues. Everyone needs to be on one gigantic therapy couch. Even the Digimon have issues.

GunGriever: This led to us and now Graham talking about how.... ya know what? EVERYONE in DU is fucked up one way or another.
GunGriever: And no one can deny it cuz if everything was fine and you were mentally sound you WOULDN'T HAVE MADE A CONTRACT.

So I figured let's just open us up a thread here and enumerate the problems the various characters have that would make previously sane shrinks weep.

I hear music in the air tonight
One familiar fading tune
Something pulls at my infected soul
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa
Corpse Baka Rank: Second Bestie

Re: LET'S ENUMERATE OUR CHARACTERS' PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES

Postby Hunter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 am

Well. Let's start with "The Blue Dude"

Adrian: OH FUCK YOU!

no thanks.

Adrian: >.<

So. where to start with Adrian?

Edit::

Let's see. Adrian... Adrian...

He's... well... cam said it best

Scarred
GunGriever: Coerced into working for what were essentially villains.
GunGriever: Mother is keeping earth shattering secret.
GunGriever: Father damn near died.
GunGriever: Sister grew distant

Erik Segerstrom: Adrian: ...

GunGriever: And in his quest to protect her only increased the gap...
Hunter
BANNED

Postby Crescent » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:33 pm

<_< I unfortunately can't speak of all my characters. But we'll just say there's one that can command the attention of a team of shrinks second in size and prestige only to the likes of someone like Celia >_>;

We can talk about Ava, though.

...She's just someone fucked up to begin with, though >_>

Like the kid who would break somebody else's toy Just Because.

Of course, growing up with a kinda deadbeat dad as her only parent and running with street gangs from an early age wouldn't really help.

<_< There has to be some reason that stability gets all the hot girls with lesbian tendencies while the Crowns get all the really fucked up ones.
Crescent
Clock-Resetting Jabroni

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:24 pm

This summarizes Jace succinctly enough.

vulpespyrex: Dead parents? Check.
vulpespyrex: Ran away from overbearing (and filthy rich) grandparents? Check.
Darth Panda 626: Dying of something incurable/freak happenstance? Check.
vulpespyrex: Reckless behavior because of it? Check.
vulpespyrex: Yet he's arguably one of the more well-adjusted ones. Sweet irony.
"I miss the good old days of the Internet when men were men, women were men, and boys were cops."
Benjamin
Official Calgary Corgi

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:29 pm

>_> Next up, we have the Nagisa brothers and their partner Digimon on the psychoanalysis couch.

First up, Akurei. Where to start? Well...we have:

-Parental issues: Gendou acts like he barely knows or cares either of his kids exist; 'Rei's convinced this is his fault somehow. Yeah we dunno either. >_>; Oh, there's the fact that his mother is largely absent.
-Repressed trauma from something he doesn't quite remember in very early childhood.
-Constant migraines from his ocular albinism.
-Abandonment issues, post-traumatic stress, and general fucked-upness from seeing his childhood idol and beloved uncle murdered in front of him by a killer who escaped justice and is still on the loose.
-Issues compounded by father being brutally honest about how good people have horrible things happen all the time and no one can stop it at like age 8, when his world-view is still forming.
-Bullied pretty consistently and/or treated as an outcast after violent streak developed.
-His kid brother whom he's always tried to protect and help has basically rejected him.
-All of this is before the Digital World, which makes shit worse.

...kind of explains some things, ne? >_>; Then there's Loki.

-Has the same parental issues, though he doesn't go for the self-blame like his brother, instead resenting his dad.
-Nearly died twice very early in life--the first time is completely repressed, but the second he remembers vividly
-Albinism makes it impossible to enjoy the sun
-Albinism also makes him target for consistent bullying
-Has Akurei for a brother, i.e. a hateful douchebag who tells you constantly that you suck and he doesn't like you and you're doing it wrong
-While it's more recent, does also have the fact that he was inhabited by a monstrous tyrant of the Digital World and used as his meat puppet to enact horrible schemes!

You'd think that they'd have some pretty sane Digimon to balance this out, right? You would be heeeeeeeeeeellllla wrong! Corvusmon's past is a goddamn Gordian knot of suffering, trauma, bad decisions, and generally awful horseshit that we won't even go into because it is a Poor Idea to even start! Some of the least of the old bird's problems are that he's a former Zonemaster who nearly let the Royal Knights take Witchelny, and that he has some sort of past with Nagisa Gendou.

Umbromon? Oh he's all nice and balanced for a religious fanatic who has been taught to kill people from the day he was born. And whose father is suspected of betraying the species before he died. And who has a sister who's constantly in the crosshairs of powerful enemies, and a cousin who's next on the hit-list.

I hear music in the air tonight
One familiar fading tune
Something pulls at my infected soul
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa

Postby MasterDJ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:15 pm

My turn! My turn! WOOOOO!

.... w-wait...

Let's start with the Agito kids!

Agito Soma:

He was a nice kid! .... Still is! .... So when he's quite violently crippled by large chunks of shrapnel and left all by himself after being split from his family..... yeah. We got fear of the dark for a good portion of his youth and the inability to walk. He was SIX when it all went down. To think the day before he was running in the park.

Goes through school getting picked on for being in a wheelchair and generally outcasted since kids are cruel by nature, or somewhat worse, looked upon with utmost pity. He becomes so withdrawn that he gains a stuttering problem. He has great muscle and photographic memory!!...... Because he spent so much of his time in his room as he was afraid of everyone.

... well this is depressing. .... um... oh! High school! He..... gets beaten nearly to death by a member of Iris' gang. For being polite.... cue further regression into his shell.

.... *sniffle*

Oh... he also drug himself into a war in another dimension just because he wanted to save his sister's life.

The Digimentals are like drugs to him because they turn him into people he thinks are more likable. So yeah, he knows a lot about Digimentals... because he's addicted to them. >_>; Why do you think he uses them so often when he has a perfectly good dragon and henshin hero?

..... >_>;;;;;;

... is keeping a secret that the girl he considers a sister to him slaughtered half of a Digimon village including a good chunk of her own team because it would turn everyone against her and in turn HIM because he would try to protect her... this sort of fucks with his relationship with his girlfriend... who by dating has made him a target for the jocks in the school...

.... fuck.

RIIKO!

.... came out of the closet (she's bi with heavy les-leanings) to her parents while in high school. Grandfather sort of lost his shit over that one. Because of this she's on poor ground with a man she loved a lot. Doesn't help she's an artist.. like her father... who her Grandfather hates. With a passion.

Fell for a girl... that's younger than her.... who is really a psychopath with genocidal tendencies...

..... Wants to protect younger brother... can't accept the fact Soma outclasses her in terms of power and thus questions her own usefulness as an older sibling...

Ringmon!

Bloommon!

Dragon is actually older than he looks, but is traumatized by a past incident that makes him want to pull a Peter Pan and never grow up... and is being forced to do so.

... Fairy was modified to be a living weapon... can't even go back to his village because he scares the pants off of everyone. .... is a blood knight that was given to what is essentially a pacifist when said partner's girlfriend is more tuned to his violent power set. Is attracted to said partner's girlfriend's own fairy... like.. big time.. reminding him more and more he is a friggin' monster.

.. I know I'm missing something but dammit I need a drink now.

"Anyone can dance with the devil, dear. Are you able to love one?"
MasterDJ
My New Faction NPC Can’t Be This Cute

Postby Crescent » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

<_< Damnit all of these fucked up psychological issues makes me impatient that I can't spill the beans on my big case XD
Crescent
Clock-Resetting Jabroni

Postby Crescent » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:30 pm

^^;; Screw it, I'll do one more >_> Still leaves like another 7 question marks in the mystery insanity pool

Let's do Noel >_>; Who however may be one of my most normal characters

To that end, her childhood wasn't particularly traumatizing. Nothing real negative in terms of her parents - but they were kinda "hands off". So they didn't really correct her behavior much or otherwise intervene.

She was a real tomboy as a kid, though, which started getting her picked on by boys... <_< Who she then started to beat up. Which started a pattern of her not being a model student. Things got a lot worse in high school. Her cemented reputation as a brawler, and now also a bully, basically got caught in a resonating snowball effect with her brash attitude and stubbornness. She'd get into fights often, and was almost always under Morana's eye >_> literally too since she was constantly kept in detention and the like. Which was miserable, and led to some pent up anger, which led to - you guessed it - more fighting! yay violence >_>;

Noel, however, was smart enough to know she didn't want to be a criminal, so continuing on with the street thug thing after graduating wasn't for her. So she got over her delinquent streak... But the combination of whatever power among her peers she had wielded and a resentment for Morana's position of control kinda made her thirsty. So she decided to join the Cyan PD <_< What noble reasons, eh?

She burned through several partners quite hastily, which prompted her superiors to partner with Leesa, more or less hoping that, given the record of Leesa's past partners, Noel would end up maimed >_>

...Strangely though, I now realize that gaining a contract has overall been.... extremely healthy for her o_O

It cemented her partnership with Leesa, who's just too sunshine and lollipops for Noel to become genuinely angered at XD Which means Noel actually started doing her job more and being pissed at her partner less. And all of Leesa's detective-ness even rubbed off on Noel some. <___< And of course there's also the fact that Noel's hard gay for Leesa.
Crescent
Clock-Resetting Jabroni

Postby Jason the Great » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:54 am

::Clears throat::

Celia.

::Walks off with a top hat and twirling a cane::
Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants

Return to Archives