Prof. Ben's Ramblings: Of Motifs

Archived (Usually Board or Plot-Relevant) Threads are shoved here. Mostly for some semblance of neatness. >_>; Examples include conversations and calls for thread, plot, or Alt. RP ideas that don't need to remain in the main GD, but are still interesting to look back and read.

Prof. Ben's Ramblings: Of Motifs

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Well, it is time for me to grab that bubble pipe and put on that tweed jacket because Professor Ben has returned for another lecture! This time about the motifs of characters within DU, which poses a question of what deeper meaning they possess. I definitely noticed that there is a strong Dragon motif, at least with Cam's characters Dagrus and Soma, which is understandable considering their partners are all dragons and I am intrigued by Akurei having an LoE Shark for a manifestation, which gives me reason to wonder what significance it holds. Given that this "lecture" is mostly a spur-of-the-moment occurrence and that there are hundreds of threads to pour through, I will just speak of how it relates to my character, the recently-departed Jace Allen/Ben Valor, so please bear with me. ^^;

I must admit I never really gave that much thought to Jace's backstory until a couple of months ago and given that the character was living on borrowed time, I thought it would be interesting if I gave Jace a phoenix-motif. First off, the phoenix is probably bar none, my favorite mythological creature because I am a pyro and because I was always intrigued with its association with rebirth, so I believe you know what that implies. :P It should be worth noting that I am using the western Phoenix and not Fenghuang/Houou from Chinese and Japanese mythology. Where the eastern phoenix is truly immortal, its western counterpart only achieves immortality through reincarnation. To that effect, I state that much of Jace's life has been a cycle of spiritual death and rebirth beginning with his physical birth. He died in a spiritual sense when his parents perished and went to the underworld when his grandfather decided to hand him to ICARUS to use as a test subject. Reborn when his (forced) evolution occurred, as evidenced by phoenix LoE manifestation, and died again when Daedalus deemed Project MERCURY a failure and Zachary erased Jace/Ben's memories of the project, which effective stripped him of not only his humanity, but his very identity and cast him back into the underworld. The cycle continues when runs away to Cyan City to be reborn as Jace Allen until his physical death at the hands of Albert Pendragon.

(Though we only discussed it via instant messenger, Cam hypothesized that Soma "remembered" the data from Project MERCURY when he scanned Jace in "Dark Dragon." While I am not entirely certain how the mechanics of it work, but I imagine poor Soma would be quite disturbed if he got more of glimpse into Jace's forgotten past.)

Another important note to make is that ancient Egyptian and Hellenistic mythology associate the phoenix with Ra and Apollo, both sun gods. Though I have not integrated it into any thread yet, Jace/Ben's father, Aaron (a chosen of Yggdrasil himself who ran away to Mirai for a few years) had a saying, "The sun will always rise, no matter how much the darkness tries to hold it down." While most associate the Crest of Courage with the sun, the Crests of Hope and Light are equally symbolic of the sun, which in itself is a part of a cosmic cycle of death and rebirth considering how the solar system is made from the remnants of a supernova. In my mind, Jace (as the phoenix) is a reminder that the sun has always risen through the eons and even when the night falls, the stars are always there to guide him, which mean there is always hope. Hence it comes as no surprise to me that the Digimental of Hope bonded with Jace so easily nor is it any surprise that the Crest of Hope appeared shortly before he entered the Sea of Memories. The phoenix, being a symbol of the sun and rebirth always functioned as a symbol of hope. In Jace's case, hope for new life and freedom from his grandfather's control.

It should also be worth noting that Jace's fascination with the Flash may not be that coincidental either. From what sources I looked at, the plumage of the phoenix is colored red and gold, sound familiar? Plus, speedsters in the DC Universe are notorious for their inability to stay dead. Wally West himself escaped from the Speed Force at least twice. Bart Allen returned to the living (though he was "bottled" in a lightning rod with thanks to the Legion of Super-Heroes) in Legion of Three Worlds. Hell, Barry Allen returned after twenty-three years in Final Crisis. So if word of an LoE manifestation of a fiery raptor having appeared around Jace in the past gets out, I wonder if the other tamers would take that as a good omen.

Finally, I thought I would address the motifs taken from Norse mythology. I thought it would bear mentioning that I have Norwegian ancestry on my maternal grandfather's side so I had a deep fascination the country and its history since I was nine or ten (which was coincidentally around the same time the Winter Olympics were held in Lillehammer.) First, it bears mentioning that Jace's grandmother is from Denmark and his maternal grandparents immigrated to Canada from Norway. It is not in his bio at present, but I will add it later. Second, though the phoenix is taken from Hellenistic mythology, I see Jace's LoE manifestation taking from inspiration from the unnamed eagle attested to in the Prose and Poetic Eddas that stays perched on the branches of Yggdrasil. Though the Phoenix is also depicted as a heron or a peacock, I chose to make it an eagle and fuse it with the unnamed eagle from the Norse myths as a way to honor Jace's (and my) heritage. Third and lastly, I find a curious parallel between "The Dark Dragon Returns" and the story of Balder whose death ultimately led to Ragnarok. It is not a perfect comparison, but Jace's death was brought on Pendragon's machinations via the connection between him and Soma, which is vaguely similar to how Loki tricked Hod into throwing the dart (or spear) of mistletoe that slayed Balder...

...Come to think of it, Balder does return to life after a new world rises from the ashes of one destroyed in Ragnarok. Hm, ashes? Sounds awfully similar to the phoenix motif, does it not? :grin:

Anyway, I believe I have rambled on long enough and earned some more mileage from my English BA. I hope it gives the rest of you reason pause for reflection on your respective characters.
"I miss the good old days of the Internet when men were men, women were men, and boys were cops."
Benjamin
Official Calgary Corgi

Re: Prof. Ben's Ramblings: Of Motifs

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Akurei's shark-as-spirit-animal motif came both from the fact that Nagisa, with the kanji in his name, means "from the seashore/water's edge", so I wanted to use an aquatic animal to sorta...represent him, and from there, well, sharks kind of worked perfectly. Their skin is covered in tiny barbs, after all, and if you pet them the wrong way it'll tear up your hand. They're not well-liked and they tend to be loners with a reputation for opening their big mouth at the wrong time, but sometimes they need the company of others--you see where I'm going. :P

I like these expository bits, they're very nicely articulated. I also have a thought for Project MERCURY I should share with you. >_>

I hear music in the air tonight
One familiar fading tune
Something pulls at my infected soul
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa
Corpse Baka Rank: Second Bestie
Corpse Baka Rank: Second Bestie

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Akurei Nagisa wrote:I like these expository bits, they're very nicely articulated. I also have a thought for Project MERCURY I should share with you. >_>

Danke, and I perhaps you can shoot that thought via PM? I am intrigued.
"I miss the good old days of the Internet when men were men, women were men, and boys were cops."
Benjamin
Official Calgary Corgi

Postby Jason the Great » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Interesting o 3o

Frey is also a pheonix-motif'd (Ever look closely at his hair? lol Among other things if you know where to look, both storywise and otherwise.), sun-represented (His entire family line uses heavy sun iconography and have a similar sun-based philosophy regarding dark times), Norse-themed character (In addition to the wolf being a blatant reference to Fenrir in his original incarnation, Frey on a personal level has a Valkyrie partner and him and his sister are blatently named after the twin god and goddess of love (and harvest for Frey, war for Freya), while his father, Gunnar, is named after Sigurd's kingly bro. His mom is french.). He's one of my older chars, though slightly younger than Celia from DDT, that I created back when I needed the fill the void of 'Hero' in my roster. His design evolution is a strange, convoluted series of thoughts.

Just thought it was a funny coincidence. xD
Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants

Postby Yoshino Shurensuki » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 am

Just a comment, I like/tend to really play with the Light/Dark, Angel/Demon dichotomy between Suki and Shugo. I think I'm far too amused at the sibling with an 'angel' name being dark, and having a demonic sort of theme to him and his partner. Though, admittedly, it just kinda, sorta, happened. Cause it wasn't intentional from the get-go, but once noticed, I kind of ran with it/embraced it. >__>;

Kinda like Taboos, you either ignore it and go another direction, or you embrace it and run with it. I've noticed with a lot of things, I tend to "run with it". >_>; Unless it just doesn't sit well with me at all, or I'm told I absolutely can't do something, then I try to go a different direction. I don't do have a hard time with things when they're somewhere in the middle. ^_^; Note that "going in a different direction" doesn't necessarily mean away from the concept. ^^;

Hence why asking me if something is "too much" is either a good or bad judgment because... I guess... if I'm the one saying it's too much/too far, maybe it's a little extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme. (Read that in an echo-y, loud-ish, announcer-type voice.) But... I will endorse some things a little over the top on the basis of "Spin the wheel and see what happens". >_>;

I had more to ramble about, but I think it might skew more off-topic and I'm far too cold to think moar bettar right now. D:
Yoshino Shurensuki
Keeper of Bishies
Keeper of Bishies

Return to Archives