NEW RP: Garden of the Maidens (FAQ/Announcement)

Archived (Usually Board or Plot-Relevant) Threads are shoved here. Mostly for some semblance of neatness. >_>; Examples include conversations and calls for thread, plot, or Alt. RP ideas that don't need to remain in the main GD, but are still interesting to look back and read.

NEW RP: Garden of the Maidens (FAQ/Announcement)

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Sooooo, as some of you may have noticed--and others may have briefly wondered about--I've been adding some new stuff for an AU RP that I'm actually a lot more excited about than other AU RPs we've had previously, and I wanted to see if I can't drum up excitement for it/recruit people/reassure them about it here.

Aaaas everyone here should know by my signature...along with Justin, Jason's, and Jess'...we're kind of enormous fans of Gen Urobuchi, particularly his magnum opus, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. More than that, we're all kind of fans of the idea of magical girls--y'know, those young ladies in froofy outfits who wield unimaginable cosmic powers. And so in that spirit, I present to you an RP themed after those very same young ladies: Garden of the Maidens.

Wait a minute, is this a Madoka RP? Oh my God, you're going to turn everyone into witches and--

>_>; No, no it is not. While Garden (does that work better, or GotM? hmmm) is very, very inspired by Madoka Magica, it's not an RP in that universe at all; chiefly because, as Jason noted, "we all know how that universe works and we'd basically just be playing DESPAIR: THE RPG until everyone died." Which really just is not that fun.

Horse puckey, you're the Dark Monarch of the Throne of Tears, you live for this shit

D: Look, I'm all for angst and character depth and being hard on the characters you love, but even Uro-butcher himself knew when to stop in PMMM (before we got to Evangelion levels of psychological agony), and I actually have a limit (SHOCKING!) that's less than said illustrious creator.To put it simply, I believe in the "Earn Your Happy Ending" trope, not the like...one where everyone dies and sadness reigns forever. >_>;; That shit's aggravating and boring after a while.

So there's not going to be a system of constant suffering in place?

No, the suffering will not be...constant. However, we are following the Madoka tradition of everything being more than it appears to be. The Archons, I think, aren't quite as bad as Kyubey, but they're not exactly the Magical Friends of All Humanity, like they like to represent themselves. If things seem suspicious when you read the information posts, they probably are meant to be. However, you should absolutely ignore your urges to bring your meta-knowledge suspicions into your characters, because personally, I believe you'll have a lot more fun if you just let yourself experience the world that's been built here.

Also note that I said there won't be constant suffering that is guaranteed. But there will be some suffering. This is a dark magical girl RP, not Magical Witch Detective.

I don't want to play a magical girl, or I do but I also want to play a dude. Is there room for dudes?

Yes! That's where the Paladins come in. They're almost but not quite Magical Boys. Check them out in the info post.

I remember Age of Steel, that kind of died pretty quick. :( How will you prevent that happening again?

(〃艸〃) Age of Steel makes me sad inside, because that failing was pretty much completely my fault. I want to pick it up again, maybe, but...one of its primary problems was it was very driven by like, one central storyline, and when I faltered on that central storyline, it was like a trainwreck. It also was rooted in canon pretty heavily.

I believe--I believe very strongly, in fact--that Garden is different. For one thing, I want to go back to our DDT/DU roots of an overarching metaplot but a wide-open world. Just because there's an Ahriman fight going on in one thread doesn't mean another thread can't be going on elsewhere with just as much story relevance. I also want to let the players shape the world more than I ever have before--that's sort of a theme of Garden's, "let's see what you do with this".

Finally, there's the fact that this, like DU before it, is something almost all our own. ^^ So.

This Angra Mainyu place sounds horrifying in just the right way!/I really like these fluffy little Archon guys. Can I play an Archon/an Ahriman?

You can submit a design for an Ahriman, but you cannot play one. Ahrimans aren't sapient the way Hollows were in Soul Reflection; hell, they're not even quite as sapient as the Rectifiers. >_>; As for Archons...eeeehhhh, again, I'd rather you submitted a design and I'll play them, though if there's really extenuating circumstances we'll talk about it. This is a topic that we can discuss further.

I don't know magical girls/the sort of atmosphere you're trying for that well. What should I watch to get a feel for this?

As mentioned up there, I really, really recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica and its third movie, The Rebellion Story; they capture a lot of what we're trying to get at. I also recommend Kamen Rider Gaim, another Urobuchi work--especially if you wanted to play a Paladin. Other good Kamen Rider series rife with inspiration include Ryuki, Faiz, and even possibly a bit of Wizard.

And Fate/Zero to a degree for some stylistic elements and even more Urobuchi.

For straight-up magical girls, watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, possibly some Sailor Moon or Magic Knight Rayearth, Fate: Kaleid liner Prisma Ilya, etc. (I will add/remove recommendations here.) For just kids with magic powers, the vast arching online multimedia nonsense odyssey that is Homestuck might help, though the vibe is very, very different.

Finally, for more magic powers and how Cyan is in Garden I recommend A Certain Magical Index and/or Strike the Blood.

All right! I'll post again here when Garden is officially open. Hope to see you there! ^^

I hear music in the air tonight
One familiar fading tune
Something pulls at my infected soul
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa
Corpse Baka Rank: Second Bestie

Someone take my toys away. XD

Postby Yoshino Shurensuki » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:51 pm

I want to take credit for making Graham figure out "Magical Boys". ~(˘▾˘~)

I say this because I will also admit how Cam "sold me" on DDT was "There'll be Bishies. Lots of pretty boys. C'mon." (゜ヮ゜)

So like. Graham realized that as much as I love Magical Girls, he had to add the Bishie Card or I wouldn't bite. (๑>◡<๑)

Also, because Shugo. (´▽`ʃƪ)

*flail* (〜≧ω≧)〜

HAHAHAHAHA. ヽ( ・∀・)ノ┌┛Σ(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ
Yoshino Shurensuki
Keeper of Bishies
Keeper of Bishies

Re: NEW RP: Garden of the Maidens (FAQ/Announcement)

Postby Jason the Great » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 am

Jess you've gone mad with emoticons.

I kind of love it.

And while Jess beat me to the punch, I want to point out the magical bois aren't just for her benefit. It was something I was going to suggest once we figured out all the core stuff, considering that we have a lot of cool male chars and I, in general, don't like any sort of creative restrictions of that level. x3

Also I just love playing around in Alternate Universes :D In the beginning, I'll be playing an antagonistic Celia (similar to how she started in DU, but also very, very different. Also, loli.) as well as Frey, who will probably remain a civilian until I decide its a proper time to Paladin him. X3

I know some people are making new chars, which is obviously cool, though I love taking old chars and tweaking them like this to see how things turn out.
Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants

Postby Benjamin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Color me curious, though I admit that "magical girls" is a bit out of my comfort zone.
"I miss the good old days of the Internet when men were men, women were men, and boys were cops."
Benjamin
Official Calgary Corgi

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

>_> Jason: hey now, some of us are playing less "new" characters than you might think. X3

Ben: you should watch Madoka Magica. o 3o It's...It's cliché to say, but it does for magical girls what Evangelion did for mecha, takes these ideas that have gotten to the point that they're off-putting and turns them completely on their head, and transforms them into something new and beautiful. I have a friend who was really unsure about watching the series, because he really was not a magical girl fan at all, and he loved Madoka. 8D

Another good way to think about it might be that magical girls are basically all-girl teams of magic-themed superheroes, so. >_>;

One familiar fading tune
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa

Postby Benjamin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:57 am

Well, I guess I could not resist temptation for very long so I am putting in for a Paladin. Are there any Archons who are into shotas? >_>
"I miss the good old days of the Internet when men were men, women were men, and boys were cops."
Benjamin
Official Calgary Corgi

Postby Crescent » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Stuuuuuuuuffff

- Age of Steel wise, I wouldn't necessarily consider its central storyline a major problem. Certainly had its pros and cons, but I wouldn't argue that it was an innate problem. The progressive narrative approach (like how Pokemon Challenger also functioned) meant that the "active scale" of the side game was very manageable, since all the characters were always in one place at a time. Though, yeah, the DDT/DU metaplot approach makes it easier to bounce around and gloss over occasional activity issues, but I think can also have its own baggage.

- Nanoha is awesome, but I wouldn't really consider it "straight-up magical girls", since it's technology-based and built on more of a mecha anime style XD Though I guess it's a great example of something between traditional magical girl stuff and where more Kamen Rider-y inspiration comes into play.

- I'll prolly be kinda dragging my feet for a little bit here x 3x I fucking love Madoka and I'm all about some of the other sorts of inspirations being pulled it for Garden of the Maidens, just I've yet to get into a proper groove for a character concept I can fully get behind @_@

My immediate magical girl power concepts don't immediately fit into the more Madoka Zone we got going, which in itself isn't any sort of problem, just making it more difficult since I'm also a bit lost on what to do character-wise atm.

Barring me thinking of an interesting spin to put on one, I don't have any characters screaming for an AU Garden version. Maybe I just have to kinda open up my candidacy a bit more. A fair amount of my DU AU chars (like AoS's Ivy and, to a slightly lesser extent, D-Kingdom's Adelaide) have been based on characters from old RPs elsewhere that had never really gotten off the ground. For that matter, the same with a few odd DU characters. Some of them from DU AUs, at that >_>; Like Adelaide [oh yeah, and Jade]. I'd say Urara, but compared to Soul Reflection Urara, she's pretty much only the same in name only. Junko/Camille is a non-DU example (Though the initial never-got-off-the-ground RP concept for her was that the split-personality was an open secret that was clearly defined and everyone knew about, not secretly trolled for 5 years ahahaha <_<). I was getting a loose concept for a new char together, which I had told Jason about, and had a general powerset and appearance in mind, but she's kinda in limbo for the time being since I'm failing to find a proper hook for her.
Crescent
Clock-Resetting Jabroni

Postby metikiman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Magic.
It Tiki Time!
metikiman
Guardian Corgi

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:47 pm

MAGICAL GIRLS REPRESENT!

We are officially open, folks. > 3> *confetti! and stuff!*

Oh, also! Jess was tired of seeing the old layout, and so we're trying a new one for Garden. It's not gonna be applied to the whole board, necessarily, but let us know what you think! She even did up a pretty neat (I think, anyway) sorta banner image for the whole thing. It's pretty rad. o 3o

Currently I'm all like bluuuhhh the forum is LEFT-ALIGNED NOW?!? but I think I can get used to that and needing to use less bright colors like white and yellow in posts. >_> Maybe some of us can't though. Iunno.

One familiar fading tune
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa

Postby Yoshino Shurensuki » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Erm. I can have a different layout for each forum if I wanted to screw with people. >_>; Like. Literally. Little Edo can have a bright theme while Terminal Eden is rockin' Grunge-style. That's just... annoying. ^^; I thought the layout fit the theme of that RP and might help feel like a "different RP/Forum".

While I don't think that was all of what made some former RPs die, it might've helped not feeling like it was different than DU. I hope it helps add to the "different" atmosphere. I can change it though. If it really is something that we can't shift to.
Yoshino Shurensuki
Keeper of Bishies
Keeper of Bishies

Postby Jason the Great » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 pm

I adore it. Jess you did a fantastic fucking job and I love you for it.
Jason the Great
Stealer of Pants

Postby Akurei Nagisa » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:33 pm

@Jess -- D: Aaaaaa I didn't mean that at all. I like it! I was just misrepresenting why you did it because I didn't quite understand, and also, as has been scientifically demonstrated, I Am A Butt.

I'm getting used to the setup already, actually. o 3o I think I may go ahead and keep altering forums so Garden is fully branched off, so anyone who hates the new layout better speak the hell up. >_> (and then we'll tell you to shut up ya big jerk D8< except not really)

One familiar fading tune
I think I remember you
Akurei Nagisa

Return to Archives